Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Building a Walkway






































When I bought the cabin, the walk from the car to the front door followed a dirt path up the hill. Conceptually, this idea fit the surrounding natural environment of the woods, but the path tuned into a muddy mess when it rained. I tired of vacuuming the dirt which was continually tracked into the cabin. So, I decided to create a walkway using stones I collected from the creek on the property. 
To construct the walkway, I dug out the dirt about six inches deep, then added crushed stone to use as a base for the larger stepping stones. Each stone had to be pieced together like a puzzle and set level. This was a tedious process, but it was a kind of meditative activity that cleared my head. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...